- Ch. 1: Business
- Ch. 2: Fundamental Theorem
- Ch. 3: Sales
- Ch. 4: Relationship Building
- Ch. 5: Branding
- Ch. 6: Archetypes
- Ch. 7: Consumers
- Ch 8: Our Products
- Ch. 9: Proposals & Figures
- Ch. 10: Papers & Conferences
- Ch. 11: Giving Talks
- Ch. 12: Internet
- Ch. 13: The Public & the Govt.
- Ch. 14: Science Itself
- Ch. 15: Starting a Movement
- Further Reading
- More Useful Links
Links for Chapter 8. Our Products: How We Get Job Offers and Funding
The traditional marketer had four primary tools: product, price, promotion, and placement. Now, since the 1990s, marketing gurus have tried to revise the 4 P’s to keep up with new business models, communication channels and customer attitudes. Here’s one alternative system by Bob Lauterborn and another alternative by Seth Godin.
Intriguing article about science by marketing experts J. Paul Peter and Jerry C. Olson. I disagree with their conclusion that theories are the main product of science. It seems to me that the main product of science is proposals.
New Yorker Article by John Seabrook about how money is made in the music business. Recorded music used to be the primary money-making product. Not anymore.
Though this MTV Newsroom article quotes Prince as saying, “the internet is over,” Prince was one of the first artists to embrace e-tailing.
Article in the Chronicle of Higher Education that argues: to succeed in academia, promote the idea, not yourself.
- series of professional development workshops, and a book published by Island Press, meant to help scientists, engineers, and doctors build the careers they want and shape the public debate. Because sometimes, unlocking the mysteries of the universe just isn't enough.
Subscribe to our email list! You'll get an email about once a month with marketing tips for professional scientists.
PostsBlogging Branding and Archetypes Citizen Science Getting a Job Hollywood Leadership Marketing To Our Colleagues Mobile Barcodes Open Science Policy and Policymakers Salesmanship Science Education Social Networking Speaking and Presentation Skills The Press The Public Uncategorized Videos Writing a Book