- Ch. 1: Business
- Ch. 2: Fundamental Theorem
- Ch. 3: Sales
- Ch. 4: Relationship Building
- Ch. 5: Branding
- Ch. 6: Archetypes
- Ch. 7: Consumers
- Ch 8: Our Products
- Ch. 9: Proposals & Figures
- Ch. 10: Papers & Conferences
- Ch. 11: Giving Talks
- Ch. 12: Internet
- Ch. 13: The Public & the Govt.
- Ch. 14: Science Itself
- Ch. 15: Starting a Movement
- Further Reading
- More Useful Links
http://fabcare.com/front-loading/ Links for Chapter 5. Branding
Ten ways to brand yourself as a rock star–I think most of them apply to scientists as well.
The classic book on marketing by Ries and Trout.
Good brands are worth money. Interbrand maintains this list of the top brands in the business world (Apple is currently #1) according to their estimated market value.
The NPA exists to enhance the postdoc experience and improve the culture of science and academia.
A spectacular, inspiring collection of logos and articles about logos and discussion about logos and blogs about logos and logos about logos. Alas, it now costs money to use this site.
Two companies that help you make and sell t-shirts and other branded merchandise–without spending any money.
Seth Godin’s book about remarkable companies, products, and people.
A proposed big science project lead by Dirk Helbing. Remarkable for it’s audacity and grand scope, this is an example of a kind of Purple Cow science brand.
Article about the importance of memorable scientific brands and catch phrases (like “the god particle”) for capturing the interest of the public.
- series of professional development workshops, and a book published by Island Press, meant to help scientists, engineers, and doctors build the careers they want and shape the public debate. Because sometimes, unlocking the mysteries of the universe just isn't enough.
PostsBlogging Branding and Archetypes Citizen Science Getting a Job Hollywood Leadership Marketing To Our Colleagues Mobile Barcodes Open Science Policy and Policymakers Salesmanship Science Education Social Networking Speaking and Presentation Skills The Press The Public Uncategorized Videos Writing a Book